Monday, October 3, 2011

This Kid Come's with Instructions! What? No IEP?

I can't say I wasn't totally nevus about this year with Chris even though I really liked the teacher from the first..you just never know whats gonna happen, first year without an IEP ...its not that he has any behavior problems, its just that some days (not as often as it used to be but still quite a few day) its just isn't possible for Chris to sit still or pay attention, or stop talking non-stop without being prompted over and over, some days it just not possible for Chris to be organized, sometime nothing will get done in Chris's world without step by step instruction being given...not even sleep. Don't get me wrong most days you wouldn't even know anything was going on with him and he has great days....but sometimes WoW! he has his really bad days. So being the crazy Dyspraxia-Autism Mom I am I bring a GIANT folder I have printed out every year he has a new teacher on Dyspraxia and PDD......Of course I have this folder hidden behind my back (because I'm a GIANT chicken) waiting to hear what the teacher has to say first. So the first thing the teacher says is "Chris is such a joy to have in class" and I've heard this before many times before because Chris is a very happy upbeat, funny, friendly kid...its really hard not to like Chris .....so I'm waiting for the "but" because theirs always a "but" were Chris is concerned, then he shows me Chris's test score ...average or above average on everything, then tells be how smart Chris is and that he was shocked when Chris started to teach the class one day "What do you mean? I asked" well apparently Chris like social studies and science and when the teacher started talking about president's Chris got up and started telling the class all about Abraham Lincoln and George Washington in detail and the all the teacher could do was stand their with his mouth hanging open and class was just looking at Chris like WoW!.... :) so I had to laugh because, well yeah once Chris likes a subject he's gonna talk about it non-stop.... "But" the teacher say......OK their go's the "but" ...."sometime Chris get a little distracted" that's when I know it was going to be ok because he didn't say this kids unorganized, or won't stop moving, or won't talking...so I described Dyspraxia to the teacher and he said " Yeah that sounds about right" oh so then I tell him..."I just happened to have printed up some paper on Dyspraxia and PDD if you would like to read them?"...."Yeah sure just send am to school with Chris"..."Oh no I have them right here"...so I hand him my GIANT folder and of course he's laughing at me and looking at me like I'm the crazy lady...that I am! :) So according to the teacher Chris is having a great year so fare with no IEP to instructing everybody on what to do next....Don't you wish all kids came with instructions?





PJackman

No comments:

Post a Comment